Wednesday, November 7, 2012

No GMOs & Prop 37

Posted by Unknown On 6:32 PM | No comments

Yes, I live in the South. A long, long, long… long way from California. But with the elections being done, the votes having been cast, and federal, state, city, and county officials finding their places in office, there was a proposition, Prop 37, way out west, that I had my eye on.

Prop 37 would have required all retailers and food and beverage companies to label genetically modified ingredients. For the life of me I can’t think of one. single. reason. not to have our food properly labeled. Except for this. Ignorance is bliss. I didn’t say it was a good reason, but that is the only plausible explanation. It’s easier to stick your head in the sand and play the part of the proverbial ostrich than to meet with change head on and be called into action.

Is that who we are as a nation? Do we prefer to ignore important information in favor of convenience? I guess we really have become the fast food nation.

I shake my head, and hope that some day soon America will realize that knowledge is power. Well, to be clear, prop 37 was only defeated by a small margin, and considering the powerhouse companies fighting against it (Monsanto, Hershey Co., etc) that’s not a bad loss. It was close. Next time, I hope it wins by a landslide. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your input!

Unordered List

Labels